Ellis Bahl is an award winning Commercial and Music Video Director. Originally from Upstate New York, Ellis attended film school at Emerson College in Boston, MA where he obtained a B.A. in Media Studies. It was his love of improv comedy and music, however, that brought him to NYC where he studied with the Upright Citizens Brigade and formed the folk rock band Stamp Collectors.
His connections within the indie folkrock scene led Ellis to start directing music videos on the side. Eventually, this landed him a full time job at MTV directing, shooting, and editing in house music videos for their online startup, MTV IGGY. There he worked with global indie acts such as Junip, Ladytron, Santigold, JYJ, La Vida Boheme, Blood Red Shoes, and many many more. Some of the artists he worked with soon began asking him to direct their official videos and in 2012 he directed the UKMVA winning, breakout video for Alt-J’s “Breezeblocks”.
He has worked with brands and agencies such as VH1 (Mistress), UGG (M&C Saatchi), and AT&T (Fullscreen) to develop and execute charming viral hits. He has also worked with top music acts such as The Kills, Big Sean, Charlie Winston, Banks, Capital Cities, Us the Duo, and Walk off the Earth, among others.
Press + Awards
- 2015 Gold CLIO Award: VH1 "Naked Dating Stunt"
- 2015 1.4 Brilliant Filmmaker Award Long List
- 2015 D&AD Next Director Shortlist: VH1 “Naked Dating Stunt"
- Noisey: Behind the Lens Interview
- Nuvo TV: Music Video of the Week Interview
- Adweek: Dating Naked Stunt
- Huffington Post: Dating Naked Stunt
- IMVDb Video Chats: Big Sean "Ashley"
- IMVDb Video Chats: Sir Sly "Gold"
- IMVDb Video Chats: Josh Record "The War"
- 2013 SXSW Music Video Selections: Alt-J “Breezeblocks”
- NPR First Watch: Walk Off The Earth "Red Hands"
- 2012 Woodstock Film Festival: Alt-J “Breezeblocks"
- 2012 UKMVA Best Alternative Video: Alt-J “Breezeblocks”
- 2012 Best Music Video Lists: Vimeo, Adweek, Videostatic